Sunday, December 13, 2009

Daddy Dialectic Blogger Interview at Bizymoms.com

About a month ago, Jeremy and chicago pop did a brief interview on stay-at-home fatherhood for the website Bizymoms.com. A lot of what we said there we've already said here in a variety of ways, and so may be familiar to readers of Daddy Dialectic, but it's nice to see these issues taken up on a site designed primarily for mothers.

Here's an excerpt (FYI, David is the first name of Daddy Dialectic blogger "chicago pop"):

What is the best part of being at stay at home dad?

David: Being there to watch my child grow and experience life, and to have him teach me all the simple things that I had forgotten when I grew up.

It reminds me that life is not at all a straight line onward and upward, that there is a lot of circling back to elemental things. Spending time with children helps you circle back.

Jeremy: Gaining new skills, like patience and compassion, and gaining confidence in taking care of my own child.


"Daddy bloggers" are a rare breed in comparison to mommy bloggers. What do you feel dads offer that is different from a mom, blogging-wise?


David: I think there are a thousand different ways to be a daddy blogger, the way there are a thousand different types of dads with a thousand different styles of parenting, if not more. The importance of what daddy blogs offer is not so much in the their content, but in the collective testimony they give to the fact that men are entirely capable of doing these things.

Jeremy: Yeah, that's true. The most important thing for guys to do right now is to just tell and hear stories about taking care of kids. Every time they do that, they're helping create a culture of care among dads and a new image of the good father. For decades, dads have been told they're worthless or absent. Now guys are providing positive examples, to reflect what's best in fatherhood back to men and boys. Of course, they often joke about fatherhood much more, I'd argue, than moms do in their blogs.
Check out the rest here.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Good one on Daddy Dialectic - it helps a lot!

We clearly share similar parenting experiences and views.
I've been reading one that I'm hooked on - http://todayscliche.com/.
I have a feeling you'd get a lot out of it.

Incredible job on your blog; keep it up.

Thanks,
patrice

Anonymous said...

Thank you, that was extremely valuable and interesting...I will be back again to read more on this topic.

Anonymous said...

Cool blog, I had not come across daddy-dialectic.blogspot.com before during my searches!
Carry on the fantastic work!

Anonymous said...

Thanks for sharing the link, but unfortunately it seems to be offline... Does anybody have a mirror or another source? Please reply to my post if you do!

I would appreciate if a staff member here at daddy-dialectic.blogspot.com could post it.

Thanks,
Harry